Sweet & juicy cherry tomatoes slowly roast in the oven with olive oil, garlic, & fresh herbs. The roasting process concentrates the flavor, resulting in intensely sweet-tart tomatoes with the most wonderful hearty texture. These slow roasted cherry tomatoes are perfect for tossing in pasta, salads, sandwiches, on pizzas, adding to a cheese board, or simply snacking by the handful!
- 2 pounds heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- leaves & tender stems of 12-14 sprigs fresh thyme (see Recipe Notes, below)
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- optional: ¼-½ teaspoon crushed red chili flake
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up. Set aside.
- Prep the tomatoes: Slice the tomatoes. It’s important that the tomatoes are uniform in size so they roast evenly, so depending on the size of the tomatoes you may want to halve or quarter them. Place the tomatoes, cut side facing up, on the prepared baking sheet. Lightly drizzle the olive oil on the tomatoes, then sprinkle the garlic, thyme, salt, & crushed red pepper flake (if using) over top.
- Slow roast the tomatoes: Transfer the tomatoes to the oven. Slow roast for 2 1/2 – 3 hours, until dehydrated as desired. I like to set a timer every 60 minutes to give them a quick check as they roast.
- Serve! Enjoy your slow roasted tomatoes immediately (seriously, try not to eat them all straight off the pan – it’ll be tempting!). They’re great on their own, layered into your favorite summer sandwich, tossed in a quick summer pasta, or served on a gorgeous antipasti cheese board. Enjoy!
- Storage: Slow roasted tomatoes will keep, stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, for up to 2 weeks. You can also freeze slow roasted tomatoes for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe bag or container.
- Herbs: I’m partial to the combination of sweet tomatoes & the light floral flavor of fresh thyme, however you can slow roast your tomatoes with any of your favorite hardy herbs. Feel free to swap the fresh thyme with about 2 teaspoons of finely chopped fresh hardy herbs (e.g. rosemary, oregano, etc.) OR 1 teaspoon of dried herbs (e.g. dried oregano, herbs de provence, Italian seasoning, etc.).
Keywords: slow roasted tomatoes, easy, simple, healthy, 5 ingredients, summer, Italian, vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free, gluten-free