Sheet pan veggie shawarma bowls with roasted cauliflower & sweet potato – this EASY and HEALTHY veggie shawarma recipe is the ultimate sheet-pan veg shawarma dinner!
for the bowls:
- 1 14-oz can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 small head cauliflower, chopped into bite-sized florets
- 1 sweet potato, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- for serving: quinoa, shredded cabbage or lettuce, thinly sliced cucumber, thinly sliced red onions, tahini sauce (below), etc.
for the shawarma seasoning:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or honey
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- water, as needed
for the tahini sauce:
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- water, as needed
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or foil for easy clean up. Set aside. Spread the drained & rinsed chickpeas over a couple of paper towels and pat dry. Seems annoying, I know, but water is the enemy when it comes to crispy roasted chickpeas…patting them dry is key. Set aside.
- Prep the shawarma seasoning: Add all listed ingredients to a large bowl. Stir to combine. Depending on how juicy your lemon is, you may want to add in a splash of water to loosen the seasoning up enough to coat all the veggies & chickpeas. Set aside, or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Shawarma-ify the veggies & chickpeas: To the large bowl with the shawarma seasoning, add the chickpeas, cauliflower florets & diced sweet potato. Season with the salt and ground black pepper. Toss to coat the veggies & chickpeas with the shawarma sauce, ensuring everything is coated evenly. Transfer the shawarma veggies & chickpeas to the prepared baking sheets, arranging everything with enough room around it to roast up nicely.
- Roast the shawarma chickpeas & veggies for 20-25 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through, until the cauliflower & sweet potato are tender with crispy, browned edges. Remove from the oven & squeeze the lemon juice over top. Set aside.
- Make the tahini sauce: Meanwhile, as the veggies & chickpeas roast, make the tahini sauce. Combine all listed ingredients in a medium bowl, whisking to combine. Add a splash of water to loosen the tahini sauce to your desired consistency. Set aside, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Serve! Pile the crispy shawarma veggies & chickpeas over top quinoa, shredded cabbage or lettuce, & top with thinly sliced cucumber & red onion, crumbled feta cheese, chopped cilantro, & tahini sauce as desired. Enjoy!
- Shawarma: The shawarma seasoning used here is based on my popular shawarma marinade recipe. If you love the spice blend, definitely check out the marinade…& maybe make yourself a chicken shawarma hummus bowl…you can thank me later!
- Make it vegan: Simply swap the honey in the shawarma seasoning with pure maple syrup & omit any cheese in your final dish.
- Make it dairy-free: Omit any cheese in your final dish.
- Meal prep: Shawarma bowls are super meal prep friendly. Depending on how much time you have, here are 2 plans of attack:
- 10-minute meal prep: Chop the cauliflower & sweet potato. Prep the shawarma seasoning according to Step 2 of Recipe Directions. Store everything separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. At dinner time, all you have to do is preheat the oven, toss & roast the shawarma veggies & prep the tahini sauce.
- 15-minute meal prep: Do 10-minute meal prep & add the tahini sauce to your list. Store everything separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Dinner will be mostly inactive since all you have to do is toss & roast the shawarma veggies & chickpeas! EASY!
Keywords: veggie shawarma, veggie shawarma recipe, chickpea shawarma, veg shawarma, vegan recipe, vegetarian recipe