Equal parts bubbly, frosty, sweet, & sour, Sgroppino al Limone – a 3-ingredient limoncello and prosecco float – is the ultimate summer cocktail!
I first experienced these refreshing after dinner drinks during my time working at a fine dining Italian restaurant. When our owner dined on our patio on warm summer evenings, he’d often skip the dolci menu & sneak behind the bar to make a tray of sgroppino for his family & friends instead.
Once I began making them at home, I was pleasantly surprised by how easy they are to prepare. They come together with 3 simple ingredients — Italian liquor, Italian sparkling wine, & sunshiny lemon sorbet – & they’re so simple to throw together, even on the warmest nights. It’s been my go-to summer dessert drink ever since – the perfect digestif for a hot day!
Be sure to check out the blog post, above, for a lot more notes on each of the ingredients, as well as some easy variations (including guidance for a mocktail!). ♡ Happy sipping!
- 1 large scoop lemon sorbetto (approx. ½ cup or ¼ pint)
- ¾ ounce limoncello
- 2 ounces prosecco (approx. ¼ cup)
- Prepare the sgroppino al limone: Place the lemon sorbetto in a chilled low-ball or wine glass. Pour the limoncello over top, then finish with prosecco. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Jess’ Tips & Tricks:
- Sgroppino for a crowd: If preparing a large batch of sgroppino for a crowd, I suggest scooping all of the sorbetto in advance. Portion it into the individual glasses, then place them in the freezer until serving. From there, all you have to do is top them off with limoncello and prosecco – easy!
- Sorbetto tips: Sorbetto is Italian sorbet, a dairy-free frozen dessert made from fruit juice, sugar, & water. Bright & sunshiney lemon sorbetto is my go-to for sgroppino, though feel free to have fun with it & use another fruity sorbetto – mango, raspberry, & strawberry are all delicious with limoncello! To make a creamy cocktail, swap sorbetto with fruity gelato or ice cream.
- Non-alcoholic sgroppino: For a sgroppino mocktail, omit the limoncello & swap the wine with sparkling lemonade.