a delicious hawaiian-inspired fried rice packed with grilled chicken, pineapple, jalapeños & spicy portuguese sausage that all come together to create the perfect balance of rich, smoky, sweet & spicy bowl. top this hapa fried rice off with a squeeze of lime & some sliced avocado & you’ll for sure be hooked on this quick, flavorful for the rest of summer.
- 1 C uncooked basmati rice
- 2 bell peppers
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- 1 pineapple
- 1 medium red onion
- 10 oz link Portuguese sausage, or 1/2 lb fresh Spanish chorizo
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 C salsa verde
- cilantro, lime, & avocado for serving
- Preheat your grill to medium heat.
- Cook 1 C basmati rice in a rice cooker or on the stove top per instructions on the package – I always cook 1 C rice in 2 C water & it comes out perfectly every time.
- While rice is cooking, prep your peppers & pineapple for the grill. Destem & deseed the bell peppers & cut into thirds or quarters. Cut the jalapeños in half down the middle & destem & deseed to your liking. I like pretty moderate heat, so I leave stems & seeds in 1 pepper. Core & cut the pineapple into large spears. You want all pieces of pepper & pineapple to be big enough to sit on the grill grates without falling through.
- Dice 1 red onion & set aside.
- Grill the peppers & pineapple over medium heat until
- Gill the Portuguese sausage & chicken breast over medium heat until cooked through, about 6 minutes per side.
- Once cool enough to handle, remove skin from peppers & chop the grilled pineapple & peppers into small dice.
- In a large skillet, sweat onions in coconut oil until soft and transluscent. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Add peppers, rice, & salsa verde to skillet & heat through, stirring often to prevent the rice from sticking to the pan.
- Add sausage, chicken, & grilled pineapple to skillet just long enough to heat through.
- Serve in bowls with sliced avocado & top with a squeeze of lime juice & a handful of cilantro.
- Serving Size: 5