The absolute Best Grilled Turkey Burgers recipe! These easy turkey burgers are super juicy, super flavorful, & super straight-forward. Made with just 5 simple ingredients, these turkey burgers are perfect for weeknight grilling & summer BBQs.
- 1 1/3 pounds 93% lean ground turkey
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely grated & squeezed of excess moisture
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (see Recipe Notes)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- oil, for the grill grates
- for serving, as desired: burger buns, cheese of choice, toppings of choice (e.g. lettuce, tomatoes, thinly sliced onion, pickles, etc.), condiments of choice (e.g. mustard, ketchup, et.c)
- Line a baking sheet or large plate with parchment paper, wax paper, or aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Grate the onion: Arrange a few paper towels out on a cutting board, set a box mixer on top. Run the onion along the sides of the box mixer to grate it into fine, shredded pieces. Once grated, use the paper towel to soak up excess moisture from the onion. Too much moisture will make the turkey burger mixture very difficult to handle, so do not skip the extra 30 seconds it takes to blot the moisture from the grated onion. If your onion seems very wet, you can also wrap it in paper towels & wring out the moisture over the sink.
GRILLED TURKEY BURGERS:
- Mix the turkey burgers: Add the ground turkey, grated onion, garlic, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, kosher salt & ground black pepper to a large bowl. Using your hands, mix until just combined. Overworking the turkey burger mixture will lead to tough burgers; take care not to overmix.
- Form the turkey burgers: Divide the turkey burger mixture into 4 even portions, about 1/3 pound (5.3 ounces) each. Lightly coat your hands in oil (or mist with nonstick cooking spray) & form each portion into a 1-inch thick patty. The mixture will be very wet at this point, so there’s no need to fuss over making your burgers look perfect – just aim for forming them into the general shape & size you’re after. Set them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Chill the turkey burgers: Transfer the baking sheet with the turkey burger patties to the freezer. Chill for at least 20 minutes.
- Prepare the grill. Meanwhile, as the turkey burgers chill, preheat the grill for medium-high direct heat grilling, about 450 degrees F. Just before placing the burgers on the grill, generously oil a wad of paper towel. Use grilling tongs to run the oiled paper towel over the grill grates, generously oiling the grates.
- Grill the turkey burgers: Remove the turkey burgers from the freezer. At this point they should be quite a bit easier to handle; finish forming them into 1-inch thick patties, using your thumb to create an indent in the center of each patty. Firmly press each turkey burger patty down onto the prepared grill grates. Grill the turkey burgers for 6 minutes per side, or until a thermometer inserted in the center of the turkey burgers registers 160 degrees F. If you’d like to add cheese to your turkey burgers, do so when there are 2 minutes left of grilling time.
- Serve: Allow the turkey burgers to rest for a few minutes (residual heat will increase the internal temperature to 165 degrees F) before serving as desired. Enjoy!
- Stovetop turkey burgers: If you do not have access to an outdoor grill, you can also cook these turkey burgers on the stovetop. Rather than using a grill pan, I suggest using a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet. Add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the turkey burgers, working in batches as needed to avoid overcrowding the pan, & cook according to Step 5 of Recipe Directions, above.
- Make-ahead turkey burgers (15-minute meal prep): Turkey burger patties can be mixed & formed up to 3 days in advance. Follow Steps 1-2 of Recipe Directions above. Rather than placing the formed patties on a baking sheet & freezing to chill, transfer the formed patties to an airtight container, separating them with a piece of wax or parchment paper. Refrigerate for up to 3 days. When you’d like to make your turkey burgers, simply preheat the grill & get cookin’ – easy!
Keywords: grilled turkey burgers