There’s something so satisfying about buffalo chicken, which is exactly why these quick & easy Grilled Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches are always on regular rotation at our house during the summer months. They’re made with minimal ingredients & they come together really quickly thanks to the grill – a low-effort summer dinner dream!
Feel free to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs – whatever you love most! – but be sure to either grab thin, uniform pieces or butterfly the chicken so it cooks up quickly & evenly on the grill. Simply dust it with a few simple spices & slather it in buffalo sauce as it cooks.
You can certainly use your favorite bottled wing sauce, but the recipe detailed below is my go-to as it’s made with really simple ingredients & comes together really quickly. (The little bit of honey is the secret ingredient here – it caramelizes on the grill, creating an irresistibly spicy-sweet flavor – SO good!)
From there, just build your dream buffalo chicken sandwich – toasty buns, crispy lettuce, juicy tomatoes, blue cheese or ranch dressing! If you’re not craving sandwiches, the grilled buffalo chicken is a super versatile staple you can put to use in wraps, lettuce wraps, hearty grain bowls, fresh salads, or cheesy nachos…you really can’t go wrong! Be sure to check out the blog post, above, for more inspiration.
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (approx. 1 1/2 – 2 pounds total), butterflied (sliced in half lengthwise)
- 1 1/2 heaping teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 heaping teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil or high smoke point oil of choice
- 1/3 cup Franks RedHot or buffalo sauce of choice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- optional: 4 slices cheese of choice (e.g. pepper jack, white cheddar)
- 4 burger buns
- nonstick cooking spray
- kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
- for serving, as desired: toppings of choice (e.g. lettuce, thinly sliced tomato, thinly sliced celery, etc.), herby ranch yogurt (below) or other condiments of choice (e.g. ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing, aioli, etc.)
optional: herby ranch yogurt:
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (whole milk or 2% is best)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 3–4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives or green onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2–3 tablespoons water
- kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
- Preheat the grill: Prepare the grill for medium-high direct heat grilling, about 450-500 degrees F. Once preheated, clean the cooking surface by firmly brushing a wire brush over the grates. (If you do not have access to an outdoor grill, you can also preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat.)
- Prep the chicken & buffalo sauce for the grill: Meanwhile, as the grill preheats, prep the chicken & buffalo sauce. Place the halved chicken breasts in a large bowl or baking dish. Season with 1 heaping teaspoon each garlic powder & smoked paprika, 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt & ground black pepper as desired. Drizzle the avocado oil over top. Toss to combine, coating the chicken well. Set aside. To mix up the buffalo sauce, simply add the Frank’s RedHot Original, melted butter, honey, & the remaining 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder & smoked paprika to a small bowl & mix to combine well. Set aside. [gallery columns="2" size="full" ids="31363,31365"]
- Optional: Prepare the herby ranch yogurt: Meanwhile, as the grill preheats, prep the ranch yogurt. In a small bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, garlic, chive or green onions, dill, & apple cider vinegar. Season with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt & ground black pepper as desired. Whisk to combine. If needed, thin the mixture out with 2-3 tablespoons water, just until your desired consistency is reached. Set aside for serving, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Grill the buffalo chicken: Place the chicken on the preheated grill. Close the lid & grill 4-5 minutes. Use grill tongs to flip the chicken, then generously brush the cooked side with the prepared buffalo sauce. Close the lid & grill 3-4 minutes longer. Flip the chicken one more time, brushing the opposite side with buffalo sauce. Grill 1-2 minutes longer, until the chicken is cooked through. If desired, this is a great time to place the sliced cheese on each chicken breast so it melts beautifully as the chicken finishes cooking. Transfer the grilled chicken to a plate or small baking sheet. (For perfectly toasty buns, lightly spritz the inside of a burger bun with cooking spray & place on the grill about 30 seconds – 1 minute. Keep a close eye on the buns as they toast to prevent burning.)
- Serve: Build your grilled buffalo chicken sandwiches as desired. Here at the PWWB house, we like toasty brioche buns, leafy lettuce, juicy summer tomatoes, & a good drizzle of prepared buffalo sauce & herby ranch yogurt. Enjoy!
- Storage & Reheating: Store leftover grilled buffalo chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Enjoy leftovers cold or reheat in the microwave until warmed through & build a buffalo chicken sandwich as desired.
- 10-Minute Meal Prep: If chosen, nearly all of the active prep work for these grilled buffalo chicken sandwiches comes from prepping the herby ranch yogurt. Prep in advance to get a head start on the your buffalo chicken sandwiches & keep hands-on prep to a minimum at dinnertime. It takes 10 minutes, tops:
- Prepare the herby ranch yogurt according to Step 3 of Recipe Directions above. Store in a jar or airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. (<10 minutes active prep)
Keywords: buffalo chicken sandwich recipe, summer recipes, grilling recipe, grilled chicken, homemade buffalo sauce, grilled buffalo chicken sandwich