A classic Greek salad meets everyone’s favorite whole grain in this healthy Greek Farro Salad recipe! Not only is it absolutely delicious & easy to make, it’s also incredibly versatile – serve it warm or cold, as a side dish or plant-powered main, or meal prep it for the best weekday lunches ever. Nothing not to love!
Naturally vegetarian, easily dairy-free & vegan.
- 3/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Organic Farro, rinsed well
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely diced
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 3 mini cucumbers, diced (about 1 1/2 cups diced)
- 6 ounces roasted red pepper, drained, rinsed, patted dry & diced
- 6 ounces feta, patted dry & cubed or crumbled
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
for the simple Greek vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 lemon, juiced (about 1 tablespoon juice)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- ground black pepper & crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- Cook the farro: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, season with 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Add the farro and boil 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until your desired al dente texture is reached. Drain & immediately rinse with cold water. Set aside to drain well.
- Veggie prep: Meanwhile, as the farro cooks, prep the remaining ingredients starting with the onion. Place the finely diced red onion in a small bowl & squeeze the lemon juice over top. Stir to combine & set aside to sit as you prepare the remaining ingredients. Slice the tomatoes, dice the cucumbers, & roasted red bell pepper, etc. Once all of your ingredients are prepped, drain the lemon juice from the onions & discard.
- Make the simple Greek vinaigrette: Combine all listed ingredients in a small bowl or jar. For a little kick of heat, sprinkle in a little crushed red pepper flake. Whisk or shake to combine. Taste and season with additional kosher salt or ground black pepper as desired. Set aside, or store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Assemble the farro salad: To a large bowl, add the farro, red onion, tomatoes, cucumber, roasted red pepper, feta, chickpeas, & arugula. Pour the simple Greek vinaigrette over top. Toss to combine. Taste & adjust seasonings as desired. Enjoy!
- Make-ahead & storage: This Greek Farro Salad is best when served within 3 days of assembly, though it’ll keep for up to 5 days. Store the assembled farro salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- 15-Minute Meal Prep: If you’d like to do just a little prep in advance to help cut down on the active prep time when you make your Greek Farro Salad, go ahead & chop the veggies &/or make the simple Greek dressing:
- Prep the simple Greek vinaigrette according to Step 3 of Recipe Directions, above. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. (5 minutes active prep)
- Finely dice 1/2 medium red onion, halve or quarter cherry tomatoes, & dice 3 mini cucumbers & 6 ounces roasted red pepper. Store in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. (10 minutes active prep)
Keywords: Greek farro salad, farro salad recipe, entree salads & bowls, side dish, summer, spring, vegetarian, easily dairy-free & vegan, meal prep friendly, healthy