Decadent, ultra-chocolatey & extra creamy Christmas Hot Chocolate! Homemade hot cocoa is made from scratch with milk, heavy cream, bittersweet chocolate, & a few other pantry staples. Majorly Santa-approved!
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- one (1) 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate (chips or finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- optional: 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- for serving, as desired: freshly whipped cream, shaved chocolate, crushed peppermint candies
- Prepare the hot chocolate: Add all listed ingredients (milk, cream, sweetened condensed milk, chocolate, vanilla, salt) to medium pot or saucepan over medium-low heat. Bring the mixture to a very light simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate is melted and the hot cocoa is smooth; the cocoa will thicken some as it simmers. [gallery columns="2" size="full" ids="14018,14020,14021,14022"]
- Serve immediately, topped as desired. We like our Christmas Cocoa topped with lots of freshly whipped cream & shaved chocolate. Marshmallows always encouraged. Enjoy!
Keywords: Christmas hot chocolate, hot cocoa, homemade, creamy, thick