Similar to chimichurri, chermoula is packed with garlic & punchy fresh herbs (like cilantro, parsley, mint), but it also has a hint of warmth from spices common in North African & Middle Eastern cooking (cumin & coriander ftw!). It’s traditionally served over grilled fish…but I’m pretty sure once you have it you’ll want to put it on everythaaang.
- 2 pounds meat or veggies of choice
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups packed cilantro leaves
- 1 cup packed parsley leaves
- ¼ cup packed mint leaves
- 1 large lemon, zested & juiced
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- optional: pinch crushed red chili flake
- Blend the chermoula sauce: Add all listed ingredients to the bowl of a food processor. Blend to combine, just until very fine pieces of the fresh herbs remain. Use immediately, or transfer to a jar or airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Marinate: Pour the chermoula sauce marinade over your meat or veggies of choice. Marinate for at least 6 hours or up to overnight.
- Grill as desired. Enjoy!
- Chermoula doubles as a really great salad dressing: I know we’re talking all about grilling marinades here, but drizzling chermoula all over a big, fresh summery salad will NEVER do you wrong. Pinky promise.
- Meal prep tip: Chermoula sauce holds up really freaking well, aka it’s the perfect thing to meal prep at the beginning of the week & proceed to put on everythaaang throughout the week. In fact, storing it in a jar or airtight container in the refrigerator really helps the flavors meld together even more! You can’t go wrong with a jar of chermoula sauce in your fridge!
Keywords: chermoula, chermoula sauce, chermoula sauce recipe