Grilled chicken, sweet potatoes, peppers, & onions are loaded up in a flavorful & colorful BBQ chicken bowl with greens, quinoa or brown rice, & a little guac or cheese for good measure. A quick & easy dinner that’s always satisfying & perfect for weeknight grilling or summer meal prep – an absolute staple here at the PWWB House!
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs (see Recipe Notes)
- PWWB BBQ Dry Rub, below
- 2 bell peppers, sliced from stem into 3–4 flat planks
- 2 red onions, peeled & sliced into 1/8ths (with root end in tact)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled as desired & sliced into 1/2-inch rounds (crosswise) or planks (lengthwise)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce of choice
- for serving, as desired: cooked quinoa or rice, mixed greens, shredded cheddar or pepper jack, diced avocado or guacamole, finely chopped cilantro, additional BBQ sauce, etc.
PWWB BBQ Dry Rub:
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- scant 1 teaspoon chili powder
- scant 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- scant 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- scant 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- scant 1 teaspoon onion powder
- scant 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- optional: pinch – 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Prepare the grill for medium-high direct heat grilling, 500-550 degrees F.
- Mix the BBQ Dry Rub: Add all listed BBQ dry rub ingredients to a small bowl or jar. Whisk or shake to combine. Set aside or store in an airtight container on your spice rack for up to 1 month.
- Prep the chicken & vegetables: Place the chicken on a plate or small baking sheet. Season with BBQ dry rub, 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, & ground black pepper as desired. Use your hands to rub the spices into the chicken. Set aside. Place the bell peppers, onions, & sweet potato in a mixing bowl or on a small baking sheet. Drizzle with avocado oil. Season with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt & ground black pepper as desired. Toss to coat. Set aside.
- Grill the BBQ chicken & vegetables: Place the chicken & vegetables on the preheated grill. Grill the vegetables for 3-4 minutes per side, or until nicely charred. Grill the chicken for 4-5 minutes per side, or until nearly cooked through. Brush the chicken with BBQ sauce & flip the chicken such that the BBQ sauce side is in contact with the grill grates. Cook 1 minute to caramelize the sauce. Repeat, brushing & grilling the second side of the chicken. Transfer the grilled chicken & veggies to a plate or small baking sheet. Once cool enough to handle, chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Assemble the BBQ chicken bowls & serve: Serve the grilled BBQ chicken & vegetables over rice/quinoa & mixed greens, topping with grated cheese, avocado/guacamole, cilantro, & additional BBQ sauce as desired. Enjoy!
- Chicken breasts vs thighs: You can use either boneless, skinless chicken thighs or chicken breasts for these BBQ Chicken Bowls. I always find thighs to be more flavorful & juicier, so that’s what I typically use. If you prefer to use breasts, be sure to either pound the chicken breasts out flat or butterfly them by slicing them in half lengthwise. This will help them grill more quickly & more evenly, keeping your grilled BBQ chicken totally juicy.
- Storage & Reheating: Store leftover BBQ chicken & vegetables in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop until warmed through, then assemble BBQ chicken bowls as desired.
- Meal Prep: Nearly all of the active prep work for these BBQ chicken bowls comes from prepping the dry rub & veggies. Take care of these in advance – it takes 10 minutes, tops:
- 10-Minute Meal Prep:
- Prep the BBQ dry rub according to Step 2 of Recipe Directions, above. Store in an airtight container on your spice rack for up to 1 month. (5 minutes active)
- Veggie prep: Slice 2 bell peppers into large, flat planks (pictured), slice 2 red onions into 1/8ths with root end in tact (pictured), & slice 1 large sweet potato into 1/2-inch rounds (crosswise) or planks (lengthwise). Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. (5 minutes active)
- 20-Minute Meal Prep: In addition to prepping the BBQ dry rub & veggies, cook a batch of rice or quinoa for your BBQ chicken bowls. Cook according to package directions, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve, up to 1 week. (10 minutes active)
- 10-Minute Meal Prep:
Keywords: bbq chicken bowl, bbq chicken rice bowl, nourishing, healthy, gluten-free, dairy-free, meal prep, easy, easily vegetarian, easily vegan