a quick & fresh homemade pasta sauce, this roasted red pepper pomodoro is made with 5-ingredients in less than 10 minutes!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can roasted red bell peppers, drained
- 1 large bunch fresh basil (about 2 cups)
- Kosher salt, to season
- optional: crushed red chili flakes (see Recipe Notes)
- Cook the aromatics: Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the garlic, stirring quickly to spread it out into the oil. Cook the garlic for about 30 seconds, until fragrant – you should be able to smell the garlic perfuming the olive oil. Reduce the heat to low and add in the crushed tomatoes. Working quickly, stir the garlic into the tomatoes, until evenly distributed. Taste and season with Kosher salt – about a teaspoon or so! If you’d like your pomodoro to be a little spicy, you can also add in some crushed red chili flake. Continue to cook for a minute or two, until the tomatoes begin to bubble.
- Blend the roasted red pepper pomodoro sauce: Carefully transfer the tomato mixture to a food processor or blender. Add in the roasted red bell peppers and the basil. Blend the mixture until pureed. Set aside to use in your favorite pasta dish (like date night pasta pomodoro with chicken & goat cheese!), or transfer to a jar or airtight container for later use. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Enjoy!
- Want to add a little spice? Add some crushed red pepper to your roasted red pepper pomodoro sauce! We like things with a bit of a kick, so I add 1 full teaspoon. If you want your pomodoro sauce moderately spicy, try 1/2 teaspoon.
- Food processors! This is the one I use (almost on a daily basis!) in my house & love. It’s the best!