a simple summer salad straight from my mom’s kitchen! a bed of peppery fresh arugula is topped with israeli couscous & perfectly ripened tomatoes & drizzled with a simple, homemade lemon vinaigrette & reduced balsamic. ready in less than 20 minutes, this simple summer salad is the perfect dish to share at any summer party or to serve for a healthy, fast weeknight dinner!
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup israeli couscous
- 1 lemon, juiced & divided
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella (pearled mozzarella is perfectly bite-sized)
- fresh basil, thinly sliced for garnish
- optional: thinly sliced grilled chicken
- kosher salt & black pepper, to taste
prepare the Israeli couscous
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil a medium pot over medium high heat before adding in the couscous. Stir to coat the couscous with the olive oil and toast for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden & fragrant.
- Add in 1 1/4 cup of water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and let the couscous cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Once cooked through, fluff with a fork and season with the juice of half a lemon and a generous pinch of salt to taste.
While the couscous cooks, prepare the vinaigrette
- Whisk together the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon juice, & honey in a small bowl. Season with 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt, taste, and adjust as needed. The vinaigrette should be tart and just slightly sweet.
Assemble the salad
- Arrange the arugula and season with a pinch of salt.
- Top with Israeli couscous, halved tomatoes, and mozzarella pearls. If serving with grilled chicken, arrange thin slices over the top.
- Drizzle on the lemon vinaigrette & reduced balsamic & finish with thinly sliced fresh basil.
- Serve with a crisp, dry white wine or rosé, & enjoy!
- Serving Size: 4