the easiest slow cooker bbq chicken recipe! this easy slow cooker bbq chicken only requires 5 ingredients, is totally meal-prep friendly, is paleo & whole30 friendly, & is SO versatile. say hello to your new go-to slow cooker bbq chicken recipe!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, sliced (I like red & orange!)
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups of your favorite barbecue sauce (see notes below!)
- salt and ground black pepper, to season as needed
- Place the coconut oil, onion, and peppers into your slow cooker. Season with a pinch of salt and ground black pepper. Using its sauté or browning feature, sweet out the onions & peppers until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Place the chicken breasts on top of the onions & peppers & pour the barbecue sauce over top. Stir to combine, ensuring the chicken & veggies are well-coated in the sauce.
- Slow cook (using the slow cook or “high” setting) for 2-3 hours, or until the chicken is fully cooked through. Check at 2 hours & if it needs a little more time, check every 30 minutes thereafter to avoid totally dry chicken.
- Shred the chicken (see notes below for a shortcut!) & serve as desired on its own, in sandwiches, in quesadillas, on nachos, etc. Enjoy!
- This recipe is written with an Instant Pot or multi-cook slow cooker in mind. If you don’t have one, that’s totally fine. Omit the oil & place the remaining ingredients in your slow cooker!
- I really like to use Stubb’s barbecue sauce. It’s cost-effective, has no weird ingredients, & has relatively low sugar per serving. & it’s tasty! Annie’s is another great health-conscious option. If you’re paleo or on a Whole30 (or feeding someone who is!), I can’t recommend Tessemae’s enough. It’s sweetened naturally with dates & is really delicious. The drawback is it’s expensive & a little difficult to track down (though my Whole Foods carries it in the refrigerated condiments section).
- A fun tip to easily shred chicken – use your stand mixer! I pop the chicken into the bowl of my KitchenAid mixer & mix on low speed, using the paddle attachment. It takes about a minute & the chicken gets perfectly shredded!
- Slow cooker bbq chicken freezes really well! Once it’s cooled, transfer into a freezer container or Ziplock bag. Press out all of the air to prevent freezer burn & freeze for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 12