caprese turkey burgers are the perfect ode to summer. ground turkey is mixed with farmer’s market kale pesto & grilled to perfection, topped with gooey fresh mozzarella & a beautifully ripened slice of heirloom tomato, these crowd-pleasing caprese turkey burgers definitely need to make their way into your labor day weekend itinerary.
- 1 1/3 lb ground turkey
- 1/3 C pesto
- 4 1 oz slices fresh mozzarella
- 1 medium heirloom tomato
- 4 whole wheat buns
- preheat grill to medium-medium high heat
- in a bowl, combine ground turkey & pesto & mix thoroughly with your hands until pesto is well incorporated into the turkey. be careful not to over-mix as patties will be tough & dry as a result
- grill (*see notes below for a couple of tips!)
- grill burgers over medium heat for 7 minutes on each side
- while burgers are grilling, prepare the fresh mozzarella & heirloom tomato into thinly slicing
- when the burgers have about 2 minutes of grilling time left top with sliced fresh mozzarella & allow to melt. add whole wheat buns to the grill & allow to toast.
- assemble burgers with slices of heirloom tomato & a sprinkle of finishing salt.
- serve with fries & enjoy!
- at my house we’re usually just feeding chris & myself, so we use 1 lb turkey & make 3 1/3 burgers. feel free to use whatever amount of turkey you need to make the preferred patty size for your house, but my rule of thumb is 1/4 C pesto for every 1 pound of turkey.
- forming perfectly even patties is SO important for even cooking time. once the pesto is thoroughly mixed into the ground turkey, gently press the turkey mixture into the bottom of the bowl & with your fingers trace lines that divide the mixture into quarters. take each quarter & form into a ball & press down gently to form patties.
- pictured above, i top my buns with lemon pesto aioli to take these burgers to the next level of flavor. totally optional (but highly recommended!)
- Serving Size: 4