Meet your new favorite vegetarian quinoa & black bean tacos recipe! These tacos are completely vegetarian (& easily vegan). A 30-minute dinner made entirely with pantry ingredients in one skillet – perfect for meatless Monday and Taco Tuesday!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika (or smoked paprika)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dry Simply Nature Organic Quinoa
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock (or water)
- 1 14-ounce can Simply Nature Organic Black Beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 lime, juiced
- Kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
- for serving: charred corn tortillas, sliced avocado, cilantro lime crema (below), chopped cilantro, salsa of choice, lime wedges, etc.
for the cilantro lime crema:
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (or sour cream, or your favorite dairy-free alternative)
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 2 limes, zested & juiced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- water, as desired
Prep note: Once you get cooking, these tacos come together very quickly! I suggest starting by getting all your chopping, measuring & other prep odds & ends out of the way so cooking is a smooth process: dice the onion, mince the garlic, grab your spices & tomato paste, measure the quinoa & veggie stock, & rinse the black beans. Place everything within an arm’s reach from the stovetop.
- Sweat the onion: Add the olive oil to a medium skillet (with lid) over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion. Season with 1 teaspoon Kosher salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent & fragrant, about 3-4 minutes.
- Toast the aromatics: Stir the garlic into the skillet. Cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add in the spices (chili powder, cumin, paprika) & tomato paste. Stir to coat the onion & garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes more, until very fragrant.
- Cook the quinoa: Add the quinoa to the skillet, stirring to combine with the onion mixture. Let the quinoa toast for about 1 minute before adding in the vegetable broth. Increase heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, add in the black beans. Cover the skillet and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Once the quinoa cooked, remove the skillet from the heat – but let it stand covered for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, remove the lid. Squeeze the lime juice over top and fluff the mixture with a fork. Set aside for taco assembly.
- Prep the cilantro lime crema: Meanwhile, as the quinoa simmers, prep the cilantro lime crema. Add all listed cilantro lime crema ingredients to a food processor or blender. Blend to combine, adding a tablespoon or two of water as needed to reach your desired consistency. Set aside, or transfer to an airtight container & store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Assemble & serve: Add some of the quinoa & black bean mixture to a tortilla with sliced avocado. Top with a drizzle of cilantro lime crema. Finish with some chopped cilantro, a spritz of fresh lime juice, & any salsas or toppings your taco-lovin’ heart desires. Enjoy!
- This quinoa taco recipe is vegetarian & very easily vegan &/or dairy-free if you simply swap out the Greek yogurt in the crema with your favorite dairy-free alternative, such as dairy-free yogurt. You could also make the smoky chipotle cashew crema from this recipe – it’s 100% dairy-free, vegan & delish!
- 10-minute meal prep: These tacos come together really quickly once you get to cooking! To make this an even faster weeknight dinner, dice the onion & prep the cilantro lime crema whenever you’re meal prepping for the week. Store in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. At dinnertime during the week, you can get cooking with minimal prep needed – seriously, the easiest dinner ever!
- Category: tacos, main dishes, vegetarian
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican, American
Keywords: black bean tacos, black bean tacos recipe, quinoa black bean tacos, vegetarian tacos, plant-based recipe