this tuscan grilled steak recipe is the PERFECT grilled steak! a simple (7 ingredients!) herb rub give the tuscan steaks restaurant-quality flavor.
- 2 1-inch thick steaks of choice (ribeye, strip, sirloin, etc.), about 1 1/2 pounds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, zested
- 8 cloves garlic, grated or crushed
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary, broken in half
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flake
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- Marinate the steaks: Add the steaks to an airtight container or baking dish. Top with the olive oil, garlic, fresh rosemary sprigs, dried oregano, crushed red pepper flake, & ground black pepper. (Do not season the steaks with salt at this point!) Rub the herbs & spices into all surfaces of the steaks. Cover and transfer to the refrigerator. Marinate for at least 12 hours or up to 2 days.
- Preheat the grill: Prepare your grill for medium heat, about 450 degrees F. For this recipe, I used my Weber 22-inch Original Kettle Grill from The Home Depot. For a step-by-step guide to light a charcoal grill, be sure to check out this post.
- Prep the steaks for the grill: About 30 minutes prior to grilling the steaks, pull them out of the refrigerator to let them come up to room temperature. I typically will just pull them out of the fridge right before I preheat the grill. Steak will grill more evenly at room temperature vs cold, so it’s important to give it a little time to warm up! Just before tossing them on the grill, use paper towel to pat the steak as dry as you possibly can, then season generously with Kosher salt.
- Grill the steaks: Place the steak over direct medium heat. Grill 2-3 minutes per side for a nice medium rare, until a meat thermometer inserted in the center of the steak reads 140 degrees F. (Add about 1 extra minute of grill time per side for 1 extra level of doneness – e.g. 3-4 minutes per side for medium, 4-5 minutes per side for medium-well, etc.)
- Rest and serve: Set the steak aside to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
- for crispy grilled tuscan potatoes & onions: Add 1/2 pound halved baby potatoes to a mixing bowl. Drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons olive oil and season generously with a sprinkling of salt, ground black pepper, garlic powder, dried oregano, & crushed red pepper flakes. Toss to combine. Grill over medium heat in a grill basket for 20-25 minutes, tossing occasionally until the potatoes are tender. About halfway through, toss 1 sliced red onion in the same bowl you used to toss the potatoes. Add the onion to the grill basket to finish cooking with the potatoes.
- Category: main dish
- Method: grill
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: tuscan steak, perfect grilled steak, tuscan grilled steak recipe