a classic salsa verde recipe with a twist, this creamy salsa verde is full of bright flavors (from tomatillos, peppers, cilantro, & lime juice), & gets tons of creaminess from avocado. this creamy salsa verde recipe is easy to make, & even easier to eat! say hello to your new favorite game day snack!
- ½ pound tomatillos, husked & quartered
- 1 small red onion, quartered
- 1 poblano pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped (see Recipe Notes)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped (see Recipe Notes)
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1–2 Mission avocados (see Recipe Notes)
- 1 small bunch cilantro, stems removed
- 2 limes, juiced
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean up and set aside.
- Roast the veggies: Place the tomatillos, onion, poblano, and jalapeno on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and season with the salt. Toss to coat. Roast for 20 minutes, or until the tomatillos are juicy and the veggies have softened. Remove from the oven.
- Make the creamy salsa verde: Carefully transfer all of the roasted veggies from Step 2 to the the bowl of your food processor or high-speed blender. Add in the avocados, cilantro, and lime juice. Process, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed, until the mixture is creamy and smooth.
- Serve: Transfer to a serving dish and serve immediately, with chips or veggies as desired. Enjoy!
- Spiciness: You can make this creamy salsa verde as spicy or mild as you like! We love salsa verde with a good kick of heat, so I leave the ribs & seeds in both the avocado & poblano pepper. It’s spicy, but the creaminess of the avocado mellows out the heat quite a bit. If you want to make your creamy salsa verde more mild, go ahead & deseed the jalapeno &/or poblano as desired.
- Avocados: I used Mission Avocados’ Emeralds in the Rough Avocados to make this creamy salsa verde recipe. These avocados, like any avocados, do vary in size. If your avocados are large, you’ll likely only need to use 1 avocado. If your avocados are smaller, go ahead and use 2.
- Category: snacks & appetizers, sauces & condiments
- Method: roasting, blending
- Cuisine: mexican
Keywords: creamy salsa verde, tomatillo salsa