this easy vegetarian enchiladas skillet is filled with butternut squash, black beans, corn tortilla strips, & a generous layer of melty cheddar cheese. the best part? these vegetarian enchiladas only take 25 minutes to make. weeknight enchiladas for the win!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ small butternut squash, peeled & diced into ½-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 14-ounce can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 10–12 4-inch corn tortillas, cut into ½-inch strips
- 16 ounces red enchilada sauce (see Recipe Notes)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- for serving: chopped cilantro, thinly sliced jalapeno, lime wedges, sliced avocado, smoky cashew queso(!!!), tons of tortilla chips, etc.
- Cook the veggies: Add the olive oil to a 12-inch GRIZZLY cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add in the yellow onion, bell pepper, and butternut squash to the skillet. Season with the Kosher salt and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies have softened and the squash is fork-tender, 6-8 minutes. Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and paprika. Cook for an additional minute, until fragrant.
- Assemble the skillet enchiladas: Add the black beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, and tortilla strips to the skillet, stirring and folding to combine and ensure the tortilla strips are placed evenly throughout the skillet. Pour the red enchilada sauce over top. Give a final stir to ensure everything is coated. Bring the skillet up to a simmer & let it bubble for a minute or two.
- Melt the cheese! Preheat the broiler in your oven to its highest setting, ensuring an oven rack is positioned about 8 inches under the broiler. Cover the skillet enchiladas with the cheddar cheese, then transfer to the oven to broil until the cheese melts & turns bubbly golden brown.
- Serve! Serve the skillet enchiladas topped with your faves! Cilantro, avocado, lime juice…maybe even some smoky cashew queso?! Whatever you love. Enjoy!
- Enchilada sauce: I’m a firm believer that once you have your hand at trying homemade enchilada sauce, you’ll never go back. It takes minutes to prepare & is made with staple pantry ingredients (cooking oil, flour, spices, & cooking stock – that’s it!). This is my go-to enchilada sauce recipe. If you want a shortcut, store-bought enchilada sauce will be just fine – promise!
- Category: main dish, weeknight recipe
- Method: skillet
- Cuisine: Mexican, tex-mex
Keywords: vegetarian enchiladas, skillet enchiladas, black bean enchiladas