the creamiest red curry with onions, bell peppers, & flavorful turkey meatballs made with tons of ginger, garlic & cilantro – & the best part is it’s all made in one pan! an easy & comforting skillet red curry recipe!
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1 red onion, sliced ½-inch thick
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced ½-inch thick
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, sliced ½-inch thick
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste (see Recipe Notes)
- 1 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk or cream (see Recipe Notes)
- 1 lime, juiced
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to season
- for serving, as desired: 2 cups cooked brown rice, chopped cilantro
- Form the meatballs: Add the turkey, panko breadcrumbs, cilantro, ginger, green onions and garlic to a medium bowl. Season with ½ teaspoon each Kosher salt and ground black pepper. Using your hands, mix until just combined – be careful not to overmix! Roll the mixture into 12 meatballs, about 2-inches in diameter. Set aside.
- Brown the meatballs: Add 2 tablespoons of the coconut oil to a 10-inch GRIZZLY cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add in the meatballs to the skillet. Brown the meatballs in 2 batches, as needed, to ensure you don’t overcrowd the skillet, which prevents browning. Cook the meatballs for about 2 minutes per side, until deeply browned. Transfer to a plate and repeat with any remaining meatballs.
- Cook the aromatics: Once the meatballs have browned, cook the onions & peppers. If needed, add in an extra splash of coconut oil to the skillet. Add the onion & bell peppers, seasoning with ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt. Stir to combine. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the peppers & onions begin to soften slightly, about 5 minutes. Add the curry paste to the skillet, stirring to combine. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, until the curry paste is deeply browned & fragrant.
- Simmer the curry: Add the coconut milk to the skillet, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any brown bits that have formed at the bottom of the skillet – that’s where the flavor is! Stir to combine. Add the meatballs back into the skillet. Bring the curry to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 8-10 minutes, turning the meatballs a few times to coat in the sauce, until the curry sauce is thickened and the meatballs are cooked through. Finish with a fresh squeeze of lime juice, and stir to combine.
- Serve the curry and meatballs over brown rice, sprinkled with extra chopped cilantro as desired. Enjoy!
- Curry paste & coconut milk: Not all curry pastes & coconut milks are created equally!!! Generally speaking, the curry paste sold at most conventional grocers is not great – it’s missing tons of flavor you’d find in a good curry paste. I suggest seeking out both curry paste & coconut milk/cream from your local Asian grocer, or buying it online. This is the curry paste I love – you can order it in 4-packs right from Amazon! The 365 brand coconut milk from Whole Foods is my favorite!
- Category: main dish
- Method: skillet
- Cuisine: thai
Keywords: skillet red cury, easy red curry recipe, ginger turkey meatballs