dark chocolate mint brownies recipe. extra fudgy dark chocolate brownies topped with homemade mint frosting & an easy chocolate glaze. the ultimate easy recipe for a festive holiday dessert!
for the fudgy brownies:
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 16 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips (see Recipe Notes)
for the peppermint frosting:
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup milk or heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
for the chocolate glaze:
- 2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13×9 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt, and set aside.
- Mix the wet ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla and sugar for 1-2 minutes, until the mixture is pale yellow in color and smooth. Set aside. Add the butter and chocolate chips to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring well between each interval, until the chocolate is smooth and melted. Working quickly, add about ¼ of the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and stir to combine well. Add the remaining chocolate mixture, stirring to combine. Fold in the dry ingredients, just until combined. Be careful not to overmix the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the brownies for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Be careful not to overbake – the edges should be firm, but the center may look a little soft – it’ll continue to bake as the brownies cool! Cool for 20 minutes, then transfer to the freezer to cool completely.
- Make the peppermint frosting: Meanwhile, as the brownies cool, make the peppermint frosting. Combine the powdered sugar, butter, milk and mint extract in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. If you do not have a stand mixer, you can also use a hand mixer. Mix until the frosting is smooth, light and creamy. Frost the brownies and return to the freezer to help the frosting set up.
- Melt the chocolate glaze: Meanwhile, as the frosting sets up, melt the chocolate. Add the chocolate and the coconut oil to a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second increments, mixing the chocolate well between increments, until the chocolate is totally melted and smooth. Pour the chocolate glaze over the brownies and return to the freezer to set.
- Cut the brownies once the chocolate has set (see Recipe Notes for tips) and serve! Enjoy!
- Bittersweet chocolate is such an important element in these dark chocolate peppermint brownies. It’s where all the chocolatey flavor comes from! Buy the best chocolate you can find. My favorite is Ghiradelli.
- Cutting the brownies into clean, perfectly portioned pieces can be tricky, but if you follow these 2 tips, you’ll have the easiest time!
- the brownies have to be cold to preserve the pretty layers when you cut them. if the frosting is too warm, it’ll squish out around the edges & you won’t get pretty, clean lines. cold brownies are a must. pop them in the freezer, or set them out on the porch about 15-20 minutes before you plan to cut them.
- use a bench scraper to slice the brownies! you can use the edge of the bench scraper to lightly trace lines where you want to slice. i slice the pan into 1 ½ to 2-inch pieces (8 columns, 6 rows), which yields about 48 brownies per batch. use the sharp edge of a bench scraper, pressing it evenly through the dark chocolate peppermint brownies all at once. because you’re slicing through a large section of the chocolate layer all at once, you can get a nice clean line & the topping is far, far less likely to crack as you slice through.
- Category: brownies, desserts
- Method: bake
Keywords: dark chocolate peppermint brownies, mint brownies