an easy & healthy strawberry salad just in time for spring!!! this strawberry salad is loaded with sweet strawberries & blueberries, tangy goat cheese, chopped almonds, farro, and gets topped with simple grilled chicken breast and drizzles of the most amazing homemade maple balsamic vinaigrette. the perfect healthy salad for meal prep, an easy weeknight dinner, or for summer entertaining!
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 4 cups baby spring green mix
- 1 cup farro, cooked according to package directions
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and halved
- ½ cup blueberries
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup almonds, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
- maple balsamic vinaigrette
for the grilled herb chicken:
- optional: 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- Cook the farro: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the farro according to package directions. I recommend finding a “quick-cook” farro, which will take about 10-15 minutes to cook. Once cooked to al dente, drain the farro and rinse with cool water. Set aside, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. As the farro cooks, get started on prepping the rest of the salad.
- Grill the chicken: Meanwhile, as the farro cooks, grill the chicken. Preheat your grill or a grill pan to medium-high heat. If you’re using a grill pan, add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season both sides of the chicken breasts with the salt, pepper, thyme and rosemary. Once the grill is nice and hot, place the chicken on the grates. Grill the chicken for 6-8 minutes per side, or until the chicken has beautifully charred grill marks and is cooked all the way through. Transfer the chicken to a plate to rest for a few minutes before slicing it into bite-sized pieces.
- Assemble the strawberry salad: In a large serving dish or bowl, arrange the arugula and spring green mix. Top with the strawberries, blueberries, farro, crumbled goat cheese, & chopped almonds. Arrange the sliced grilled chicken over top. Finish with a generous drizzle of maple balsamic vinaigrette. Toss to combine. Enjoy!
- This strawberry salad is great for parties & entertaining: Keep this strawberry salad recipe in your back pocket for summer potlucks – it will be a hit! If you’re serving this salad as an appetizer, feel free to leave out the chicken. Assemble the strawberry salad in advance, dressing it with the maple balsamic vinaigrette only once you’re ready to serve it.
- Meal prep! This strawberry salad makes for a great healthy lunch to pack at the beginning of the week. Cook the farro, grill the chicken, make the maple balsamic vinaigrette, and chop up the strawberries. Store everything in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator. The night before you’ll need lunch, pack a salad in an individual airtight container, packing the vinaigrette separately. At lunchtime, simply toss & enjoy. Easy!
- If you do not have a grill, a grill pan for your stove will definitely do the trick. I use this Staub grill pan (affiliate link) & love it! I have also used this cast iron grill pan (affiliate link) & this double burner grill pan (affiliate link) with great results too.