crusty french bread slathered with fig spread & a little bit of harissa, topped with arugula & cured chorizo, & covered in manchego & big fat drizzles of homemade spicy paprika honey. an easy & elegant appetizer or snack, perfect for holiday entertaining!
- 1 baguette, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup fig spread
- 1/4 cup harissa
- 1/2 cup baby arugula
- 1/4-lb very thinly sliced cured chorizo
- 4 ounces manchego cheese
- spicy paprika honey (ingredients below)
for the spicy paprika honey
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pinch of salt, to taste
- optional: 1 pinch cayenne pepper or crushed red chili flake
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the halved baguettes on a baking sheet & toast in the oven for about 5 minutes. The baguette should be warm & just barely toasted on the outside while still being very soft on the inside. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly while you make the spicy paprika honey.
- To make the spicy paprika honey, combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk together & taste, adjusting the seasoning as needed (more salt? more spice? tweak it so it tastes perfect to you!)
- Assemble the French breads. Generously cover the french breads with the fig spread & top with the harissa. You’ll want a pretty thick layer of the fig spread, with a significantly thinner layer of the harissa since it packs a pretty mean punch of heat. Top with the arugula, pressing down on it gently to help it adhere to the French breads. Top with the cured chorizo. Rather than laying the slices down flat, I like to kind of bunch them up so there’s a little more texture & they look prettier! Generously grate the manchego cheese over top, & finish with a heavy drizzle of the spicy paprika honey.
- Cut the French breads into individual pieces & serve. Enjoy!
- Fig spread is readily available in most grocery stores. If your store has an extensive cheese section, it may be in that surrounding area. Other stores may have it near jams & preserves. If you have trouble finding it, just ask for help!
- Serving Size: 8