healthy peanut butter breakfast cookies loaded with oats, flax, & dark chocolate chunks! these peanut butter breakfast cookies are the best way to start any day – especially when you dunk ’em into a cup of coffee!
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax meal
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt*
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter, melted
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with Silpat baking mats and set aside.
Combine the dry ingredients
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, flax, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together and set aside.
Combine the wet ingredients
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the melted peanut butter, melted coconut oil, and brown sugar. Mix on medium speed until combined. The mixture will be thick! Mix in the egg whites, again on medium speed until combined.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add in the dry ingredients, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed until the dry ingredients and wet ingredients are well combined.
- Gently fold in the dark chocolate chunks by hand.
Portion and bake the cookies
- Using a 1/4 measure, scoop the cookies out on the prepared baking sheets. The dough may stick to the measuring cups a little bit, but if you lightly tap the cup onto the baking sheet, the dough should release and plop down onto the sheet.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until the cookies are set and their tops are dry.
- Allow to cool before transferring onto a cookie plate. Store covered for up to 7 days.
- *If using iodized salt, use instead 1/4 teaspoon of salt.