- 1 lb dried whole wheat pasta (I love Dellalo’s whole wheat fusilli for extra flavorful bites!)
- 1/4 C pine nuts
- 2 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 1 lb sea scallops
- 1/2 cup kale pesto (or use your favorite store bought pesto)
- 1 lemon, sliced into wedges
- Bring a pot of generously salted water to a boil & cook pasta according to instructions on the package.
- Place a skillet over medium heat & add pine nuts. Shaking the pan often, toast the pine nuts until just fragrant & golden brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer into a dish to cool.
While the pasta is boiling, prepare your scallops for their perfect sear
- Place your heaviest bottom pan over high heat & allow to preheat for 5 minutes. The pan should be screaming hot! This is a good thing, just be careful.
- While your pan is preheating, prepare the scallops! Rinse them carefully to remove any grit or sand. Thoroughly dry the scallops, placing them on top of a layer of paper towels & patting down on their opposite side with another couple of paper towels.
- Generously season the scallops with salt & pepper.
- Once your pan is heated & your scallops are prepped, working quickly to add olive oil or butter to your pan, seasoning with another sprinkle of salt & pepper if desired. The oil will start to smoke once it is added to the pan. This is expected, just work quickly!
- Place the scallops into the pan, one by one, leaving a decent amount of room around each to avoid steaming. They may spit a little, so just watch your hands.
- Allow scallops to sear for 2 minutes, without touching them(!), before flipping them to sear the opposite sides for another 2 minutes.
- Transfer scallops to a plate or platter while you finish assembling the pasta.
Finishing the dish
- Once the pasta is cooked to al dente, drain & transfer back into the pot while it’s still steaming hot.
- Quickly add the kale pesto, stirring it into the hot pasta. The pasta’s heat will cause the pesto to loosen up quite a bit & the pesto should evenly coat the pasta.
- Portion the pasta onto plates & top with scallops & toasted pine nuts.
- Serve with your favorite white wine & a squeeze of lemon!
- Serving Size: 4