a comforting marsala pasta, with rigatoni noodles tossed into a creamy marsala pan sauce with spicy italian sausage & mushrooms.
- 1-lb spicy italian sausage (links)
- 8-oz dried pasta (a dried short noodle with ridges, such as rigatoni, is best)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp crushed red chili flakes (though we use closer to 1 tbsp – we like it spicy!)
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 10-oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup dry marsala
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- parmesan cheese, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the sausage links on a parchment- or foil-lined baking sheet and bake off the sausages for 10 minutes.
- After having allowed sausages time to rest, thinly slice on a bias & set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil & cook pasta according to package directions, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Strain & set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat.
- Saute diced onion with salt & chili flake until soft & translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic & cook for about 30 seconds, stirring frequently, until fragrant.
- Add sausage into the pan, arranging the slices in such a way that they cover the bottom of the pan, ensuring they brown. Leave the sausage be for about 2 minutes before flipping to brown the opposite side.
- Add mushrooms on top of sausages & cook for another 2 minutes, until both sides of the sausage are well browned & mushrooms have softened.
- Reduce the heat to low & deglaze the pan with the marsala. Cook wine over medium heat until simmering & slightly reduced, & add in heavy cream. Allow sauce to come back up to simmer & slightly reduce.
- Toss strained pasta & a generous sprinkle of parmesan into sausage & mushrooms with pan sauce until combined.
- Serve in bowls with extra parmesan to garnish.
- Serving Size: 4