an easy vegan queso recipe made with cashews, chipotle peppers, spices, & lime juice! the perfect healthy game day snack, smoky chipotle cashew queso will be the hit of your next game day party!
- 2 cups roasted unsalted cashews
- 1-2 chipotle peppers (from a can, in adobo sauce)
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- 1-2 limes, juiced (see Recipe Notes)
- for serving: tortilla chips, cerveza!
Add all listed ingredients into a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth. Serve with chips & snacks & beer! DEVOUR.
- Storage: Chipotle cashew queso is best served immediately, but it will keep for up to 5 days stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Give it a good stir before serving and it’ll be good to go!
- Spiciness: I don’t find this chipotle cashew queso to be especially spicy, especially since it’s so creamy & has a nice hit of lime juice to balance everything out nicely. If you don’t love spicy food, you can omit the peppers altogether. I still recommend using the adobo sauce – it’s the smoky, slightly spicy sauce that canned chipotles are packed in. You’ll get lots of smoky flavor, without too much heat.
- Lime juice: For the best control on the amount of acidity you add to your chipotle cashew queso, I suggest starting with the juice of 1 lime. Once the queso is blended, taste & see if it needs a little bit more brightness. The amount you ultimately go with will vary on the size & juiciness of the limes you use. For me, it’s usually 1 ½ limes, using limes that are juicy & medium-sized. I cut the remaining ½ into wedges for beer. 😉
- This chipotle cashew queso recipe is inspired by this dairy-free queso dip, which I still haven’t been able to try due to out of stocks at my local stores, but caused me to fall in love with the idea of a vegan, dairy-free cashew queso. I also helped a client prep & shoot a similar recipe (also very delicious!), which helped me pick up on some tips for prepping cashew queso.
Keywords: chipotle cashew queso, cashew queso, vegan cheese