an ice cream pie & a turtle sundae all in one! this turtle sundae ice cream pie starts with a pecan-graham cracker crust, is filled with salted caramel ice cream, & gets topped off with a thick, fudgy layer of dark chocolate ganache & roughly chopped pecans. only 6 ingredients needed to make this turtle sundae ice cream pie (not including the ice cream, which you can just buy from the store!) – this salty sweet summer dessert couldn’t be easier or more delicious.
the day is here. i FINALLY get to share with you the top secret dessert i may or may not have been keeping from you all summer 😎. i previewed it for you on instagram the day i photographed it last week & it’s safe to say you guys kinda went nuts over it.
& i totally can’t blame you. it’s freakin amazing.
are you ready to fall in love?!
back when i was planning out plays well with butter’s july schedule, i knew i wanted to create some sort of outrageous ice cream dessert for you this month. ice cream is kiiind of my weakness, especially this time of year. 🙋🏻🙋🏻🙋🏻 raise your hand if you’re an ice cream fanatic too?!
but because we’re all busy this time of year, i wanted to make sure it was something super easy to throw together. an easy recipe, but also something that would be super impressive to serve to your summer party guests or bring along with you to a summery gathering with your friends & family. something that doesn’t require ice cream makers or scooping a billion scoops of ice cream. something effortlessly delicious.
enter the turtle sundae ice cream pie.
this turtle sundae ice cream pie is everything you could want out of an indulgent summery ice cream dessert & more. it takes all of the flavors you love in a turtle sundae (ahem, that is: creamy ice cream, gooey caramel, fudgy chocolate, & salty pecans) & reimagines them, layering them all into a totally fuss-free ice cream pie.
& ummmm…wanna know the best part?
my turtle sundae ice cream pie only calls for 8 ingredients.
& the second best part!?: one of those ingredients is store-bought ice cream, & another is salt…so they hardly count, right?
yup, i’m telling you that you can make this incredible dessert with just 6 real-deal ingredients & less than 20 minutes of active time in the kitchen.
it really does not get better than that, does it?
my favorite part of this turtle sundae ice cream pie, other than how stinkin easy it is to throw together, is how impressive it is.
turtle sundae ice cream pie is really such a show-stopper, & everyone i’ve served it to has raved (legit RAVED) about how stunning & delicious it is.
but honestly? & this can be a secret between you & me…it is SUCH an easy dessert to make.
it all starts with a simple graham cracker crust, but we kick it up a couple of notches by mixing in some finely chopped pecans. the result? a nutty, buttery, totally addictive base to this ice cream pie. the next layer of flavor comes from creamy caramel ice cream. if you’re local to the twin cities, you HAVE to (& i mean you really HAVE to) run to sebastian joe’s to grab a quart of their salty caramel ice cream to use in this turtle sundae ice cream pie. it is silky smooth, caramelly perfection, & it’s our absolute favorite caramel ice cream of all time. if you live elsewhere, feel free to use the caramel ice cream you love most. (& don’t forget to support the small mom & pop ice cream shops that make your community great!)
next up? a thick layer of fudgy dark chocolate ganache, which really couldn’t be easier to make. all you have to do is melt together some chopped chocolate & heavy cream or milk. the more you stir your ganache, the silkier its texture will be, plus it’ll take on the kind of shine that’ll make your mouth water when you look at it.
& last? a pretty sprinkle of chopped pecans. i like to sprinkle them along the edge of the pie because i love the texture it adds, but you could pile them up in the center, or arrange whole pecans in a layer on top of the chocolate ganache – pecan pie style. whatever you find to be prettiest!
the last step? devour.
make a turtle sundae ice cream pie to serve as dessert the next time you have people over, or the next time you’re headed out to a summery gathering. it’s the perfect party dessert because it’s completely fuss-free to serve – there’s no scooping involved! all you have to do is slice it up (which is easiest when it comes straight out of the freezer!) & pass it around.
or if you’re a daredevil, make a turtle sundae ice cream pie just because you want the ultimate summer ice cream treat in your freezer at all times. 😎
although if you go this route, may i share a word of wisdom?
don’t tell your husband that there’s a turtle sundae ice cream pie in the freezer. because it may just mysteriously disappear before you know it. 😜
so tell me…who in your life would love a slice of turtle sundae ice cream pie?! what’s your favorite summery dessert? any go-to ice cream flavor combinations that you die for? let me know with a comment below! i’d LOVE to chat!! xx
afraid you’ll miss a recipe or entertaining idea? be sure to follow along with plays well with butter on bloglovin. for daily foodie musings & tips, follow along with @playswellwithbutter on instagram & facebook! & for tons of pin-worthy ideas to be the hostess with the mostest, follow plays well with butter on pinterest!
- 1 cup pecans, divided
- 1 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (approximately 1 sleeve of crackers, crushed)
- 1/4 teaspoon + 1 pinch Kosher salt
- 1 quart salted caramel ice cream
- 5 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place 1/2 cup of pecans into a food processor and pulse until the pecans are crushed into fine pieces.
- Transfer crushed pecans into a mixing bowl, and add the melted butter, sugar, graham cracker crumbs, and 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt. Stir until combined.
- Firmly press the mixture into an 8-inch tart pan, forming a crust. The crust should be tightly pressed into and even layer, 1/4 inch thick, with the crust coming up the sides of the tart pan, forming a shell.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden & fragrant. Allow to cool completely.
- Let your ice cream sit out at room temperature for 3-5 minutes, giving it the chance to soften up a bit. You want it to be soft enough to smooth with a spatula.
- Once softened, place the ice cream into the graham cracker crust and smooth into a 1/2 inch thick layer, using a spatula.
- Transfer to the freezer and freeze until ice cream is firm, about 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Melt dark chocolate in the cream with a pinch of Kosher salt in the microwave, heating in 30 second intervals and mixing thoroughly between each interval. Once the chocolate is completely melted, continue to stir for an additional minute or two so the chocolate takes on a beautiful sheen. The texture should be glossy and smooth.
- Remove the pie from the freezer and pour the chocolate ganache layer over the top into a uniform layer, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Chop remaining 1/2 cup of pecans and arrange around the edge of the ice cream pie, creating a border.
- Place back in the freezer for another 4 hours, or up to overnight so chocolate sets completely.
pin this easy turtle sundae ice cream pie recipe for later!