hawaiian sweet rolls stuffed full of spicy buffalo chicken, topped with tangy feta (or bleu cheese, if you prefer!) & thinly sliced roasted red peppers & baked until warm & crusty, these buffalo chicken sliders are the perfect game day snack! the best part is that these buffalo chicken sliders coming together in 20 minutes from start to finish & feed a crowd of up to 12 people…it doesn’t get easier than that!
so let’s talk march madness.
except, let’s not. HA! just kidding.
what are your thoughts on march madness & the tournament? despite going to a HUGE basketball school (shout out to marquette!), i’ve never been too into basketball. i grew up in a small town in northern wisconsin where football & hockey hailed king. they’ve always been my favorites.
it’s hard not to get wrapped up in the march madness, though. brackets, good ol’ competition, parties, beer, game day food…what’s not to like?
especially as the tournament progresses, i love to invite our friends & family over to watch the big games at home. it’s the last time we get to really dive into a game day party until football season revs back up again in the fall. that alone is reason enough to pull together a little celebration in my book!
& when it comes to game day food, nothing beats buffalo chicken.
the trouble with doing buffalo chicken at home, however, is that in its most traditional sense, it’s kind of tricky to pull off (especially when you’re hosting!).
ordering take-out wings usually winds up putting a mean dent in your wallet…plus they never taste as good when they’re delivered because they’ve sat for quite a while (especially on game day when the best wings restaurants are usually slammed with orders!).
on the other hand, making buffalo wings from scratch isn’t terribly difficult since the ingredients are straightforwardly simple but cleanup is such a pain! you have to deal with frying oil & splatters of grease on your backsplash…no thank you!
sure, baked wings are always an option, but i don’t know…i am always underwhelmed with how they turn out. it’s hard to get the chicken crunchy-crisp without overcooking it to death.
ugh. this leaves us in one heck of a game day party buffalo chicken pickle.
except that’s why i’m SO BEYOND excited to share this buffalo chicken sliders recipe with you today. my buffalo chicken sliders will help you avoid ALL of the pain-points of doing buffalo chicken at home for a crowd.
YES, you heard me correctly…
buffalo. chicken. sliders. !!!!!!!!!
these buffalo chicken sliders have tons of spicy buffalo chicken stuffed into super-soft & fluffy hawaiian rolls, along with tangy feta & sweet roasted red pepper.
they’re basically the trifecta of salty + spicy + sweet perfection.
rather than going the fried chicken route, these buffalo chicken sliders use shredded chicken breast. we usually have a container of shredded chicken breast hanging out in our fridge for quick meals on the go, but rotisserie chicken would work perfectly here too. (& if you don’t happen to have either on hand, don’t worry – i’ve included my foolproof method for baking chicken breasts in the “notes” section of the recipe below!). the shredded chicken gets tossed in a homemade buffalo sauce (aka franks hot sauce + some melted butter).
i swear to you, you can put this shredded buffalo chicken on everything. a salad, tacos, stuffed in sweet potatoes…
but back to buffalo chicken sliders…
the very best part of this buffalo chicken sliders situation we have going on is the fact using hawaiian sweet rolls make them super simple to throw together. since a package of hawaiian sweet rolls comes with 12 perfectly soft rolls baked together, all you have to do is remove the rolls from their packaging & use a large serrated bread knife to slice the loaf in half lengthwise.
layer the bottom half of the rolls with your spicy buffalo chicken, thinly sliced roasted red pepper, & some crumbled feta. you can totally go the bleu cheese route here too, it’s just not my favorite. i think the tang from the feta complements the buffalo sauce really nicely.
- 2 C chicken breast, cooked & shredded*
- ½ C Frank’s hot sauce
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 package of King’s Hawaiian sweet rolls (12 rolls)
- ½ C crumbled feta or bleu cheese
- ½ C roasted red pepper, thinly sliced (this is about ½ of a 10 oz jar)
- Ranch dressing or guacamole, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine Frank's, butter, & chicken in a bowl & toss to coat chicken in the buffalo sauce. Set aside.
- Take Hawaiian sweet rolls out of their packaging, & slice in half, horizontally, creating 1 large piece of sweet rolls that will serve as the bottom half of the sliders & another piece that will serve as the top half of the sliders.
- On the bottom half of the sliders, evenly spread buffalo chicken, crumbled feta (or bleu), & sliced roasted red pepper. Top with the other half of the Hawaiian sweet rolls, & carefully transfer your sliders onto a baking sheet.
- Bake sliders for 15 minutes. The buns will be slightly toasty & the sliders should be warm all the way through.
- Cut into individual sliders & serve (ideally with a dollop of ranch, bleu cheese dressing, or guacamole!)
- preheat oven to 400 degrees
- place chicken breasts on baking sheet. season generously with olive oil (about 1 tbsp), & salt & pepper (about 1 tsp each).
- bake chicken for 15-25 minutes, until cooked through.
- allow chicken to cool & shred.
so tell me…how do you feel about march madness? are you rooting for anyone in particular? if you’re like me & are just in it for the food…what’s your game day go to? let me know in the comments below; i’d LOVE to chat!!
afraid you’ll miss a recipe or entertaining idea? be sure to follow along with plays well with butter on bloglovin, & for daily foodie musings & tips, follow along with @playswellwithbutter on instagram & facebook!