summer is finally in full swing in minneapolis!
this is admittedly a sentiment that any midwesterner, & especially any minnesotan, would usually be suspicious of saying out loud as there is always the chance that the last snow of the season might come late…but i’m feeling a little bold today & will just go out & say it:
summer is here.
our quiet little street gets busier this time of year. we live pretty close to some lakes & parks that are frequented by locals from across the metro. having the activity of foot traffic & a constant buzz of people headed off to enjoy the outdoors with their loved ones around us makes our home feel a little homier; like it’s our secret little spot amidst all of the excitement.
chris & i set up our first ever patio furniture (above – huge yay for no longer having to sit on camp chairs with tv trays!!! #adultingforthewin) & it has been amazing to be able to enjoy our dinners or have a cocktail together outside while enjoying the nice weather.
i saw beyonce perform in minneapolis a few weeks back, which was a dream come true for this avid #beyhive fan. she is every bit as fierce, beautiful, & hair-blowy as you’d imagine in person & watching her was almost a transcendent experience. needless to say, i woke up the next day with no voice & very sore feet from singing & dancing my heart out. #longhairdontcare #iwokeuplikethis
we’ve got a couple of high school graduation parties under our belts, which has certainly been nostalgic! for the past couple of summers we’ve been so waist-deep in the wedding circuit (ours included!), that i couldn’t even tell you the last grad party i went to! a refreshing change of pace indeed.
coming up soon this summer we have lots of fun vacations planned: a trip to hawaii to visit family, a mini-moon to napa & the bay area, & a weekend in dc where chris will run a ragnar race & i will eat & drink my way across the city (such a supportive wife, i know!).
while all these travel plans are exciting & happy, i’ll absolutely be the first to admit that the next couple of “quiet” weeks before the madness of living out of a suitcase begins will be absolutely blissful. so for now, you can find me snuggled into my corner of the world on my porch, enjoying the moment & in love with these quiet early summer days.
speaking of things that are blissful – a few favorites as of late include:
- pretty summer pies like this one & this one. i’ve always pretty much been a fall pie kind of girl – apple pie is my jam. but these beauties are drool-worthy & have me thinking its time to start experimenting with summer berries. what are your favorites??
- saloonbox. remember the cocktail subscription box that i told you about a few weeks back? well, it definitely was the perfect gift for chris’ birthday & the first of three boxes was just delivered. we gave it a test run with a “muay thai” – tequila with a pineapple syrup, serrano peppers & some thai basil. it was delicious. can’t wait to see what comes next!
- coffee, coffee, coffee. always. we recently upgraded our trusty auto drip machine with this bad boy – a kitchen aid auto pour-over machine. i can say it’s easily the best coffee i’ve brewed at home. it also has a self-timer, which is completely new territory for me & i’m still totally dorking out over it.
- & even though it’s summer, & summer means it’s iced coffee season (yay! my fave!), & iced coffee season means cold brewing up the wazoo, let’s face it: sometimes you’re lazy & you need coffee now, not 12 hours from now. the pour-over coffee from the kitchen aid is excellent over ice…in fact, i’m using it this weekend to try this perfect vanilla bean iced coffee.
- lastly, a quick psa…s’mores oreos. yassssss…s’mores friggin oreos. just do it. (and then dunk them in your morning coffee…just saying…)
a quick stir fry that combines all the flavors of hawaii that i crave.
a kale pesto that will change your pesto game for good.
mouth-watering & healthy one-bit snacks.
the best damn pizza in mpls.